Grease fires are the most dangerous when it comes to cooking fires and are responsible for 1 in every 5 home fire deaths. Below are some tips on how to put out grease fires. These tips could help save your or a loved one's life.
Putting Out a Grease Fire
- Turn off source of heat
- Do NOT pour water on it. Water and oil do not mix and when you add water it will sink right to the bottom and evaporate instantly, spreading flaming oil everywhere.
- Attempt to remove all oxygen from the flame. Cover with another pot or baking pan.
- If you cannot cover it, dump lots of baking soda on it.
If you do experience fire damage from a grease fire in your home, the team at SERVPRO are fire restoration specialists. Call us today at 864-229-6610